Wednesday, February 24, 2010

~True Friendship~

I have seen alot of people upset with their "friendships" lately. Then today I saw this status:

A friend is someone who knows your song and sings it to you when you have forgotten it. Those who love you are not fooled by mistakes you have made or dark images you hold about yourself. They remember your beauty when you feel ugly; your wholeness when you are broken; your innocence when you feel guilty; and your purpose when you are confused.

I agreed with it completely, however it lacked a couple of things... most importantly that friendships are a 2 way street. One person cannot do all the work. Sometimes one party needs the other's support more, but it must be returned when the favor is needed.

This is one of the best quotes I know of to sum up friendships:
People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a godsend, and they are! They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrongdoing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered. And now it is time to move on.
Then people come into your life for a SEASON, because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace, or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real! But, only for a season.
LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons: things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.

Having 1 or 2 Lifetime friendships is a great accomplishment! It IS rare! I think to often people believe that someone is this kind of friend only to find out they are a REASON/SEASON friend. I believe either of these friends can be in your life long enough to almost look like a lifetime friend, but if we really look deep down inside, we can tell the difference, even though it might make us sad.
Also, it can only be a friendship of the lowest persons expectations... If I think it is a Lifetime friendship, but the other person thinks it is a season friendship, it cannot be anything more than the Season! No matter how much I pour into it, if they are not willing to pour in a lifetime, it will never survive a lifetime!

I think sometimes these people can still be part of your like, just not the same as you once thought. Sometimes the hardest thing is to relax and allow it to be what it is. Instead of mourning over what seems "lost" or "ended" to rejoice in the beginning of a new chapter.
Just because we don't meet each others expectations doesn't mean one person was right or wrong.

I have also spent sometime reflecting on the Friends I have in my life. I feel more blessed than I ever have about the people in my life at this time, and I can recognize some from each category. There are "new" ones who I think will be here for a lifetime, who I think started off with a reason. I have different degrees of lifetime friends. Some who, no matter how many miles separate us or years between visits, will always mean the world to me. We have shared a million memories that will last us a lifetime.
There is the friendship of marriage, which nothing can compare to and no words can begin to explain. I truly believe we have learned the meaning of "Becoming One" in marriage.
There is the friend who has ALWAYS been there. We may not always see things the same and at times not had the closeness we have today, but we have been friends, aside from family members our entire lives.More childhood hours were spent with her than without. We mean the world to each other, we get through daily minor struggles and sometimes bigger struggles together. We can and do count on one another. Things are equal and fair and I believe always will be. We bring out the best in each other, rejoice in each other successes, we don't point out each others failures, but show each other how to succeed in our next attempt. My life wouldn't be the same without it. That is for sure!
There is my friend whom I have had the longest without being related to. We still see each other often, though I wish we could everyday, we are going onto 17 years of friendship. No matter how much time has sometimes gone between visits, it feels like only days when we are together.
I cherish each of these friendships and many more, and just wanted to take a little time to say Thanks, and to hopefully help others as they reflect on their Relationships with other around them.

1 comment: